Monday, August 15, 2011

Quittin' Time


No, I'm not talking about doing anything crazy, like giving up writing or reading (as if!). I'm talking about trying to get through a book that's just not doing it for you.

It takes a lot to make me give up on a book. Even if I'm not feeling it, I keep turning the pages in hopes that the next one will replace my niggling doubts with sheer, unadulterated bliss.

Sometimes my perseverence pays off, and sometimes it doesn't.  The last book I "quit" was a work of adult fiction (which could have been the problem, given my penchant for YA), and I just couldn't bring myself to read another page. The plot synopsis had intrigued me, but I knew I'd been duped within the first chapter.  Repetetive phrases, slow-moving pace, and unrealistic dialogue were all present. Not to mention that every last character was self-absorbed, sex-obsessed, and downright unlikable. I simply didn't care what happened to them.

There was another book (and this one was YA) that everyone raved about, and while it was beautifully written and definitely intriguing, I found it torturously slow moving. I actually put it down halfway through, and read two other books before I convinced myself to pick it back up. In this case, I did care about the characters, and I wanted to know what happened to them. I'm pretty sure that's what made the difference (thought not enough to read the sequel, unfortunately).

Does this ever happen to you? Are you willing to power through a less-than-thrilling book if you feel a fondness for the characters? What makes you care enough to keep turning the pages - or not care enough?

12 comments:

  1. I have done it only a couple of times and felt like a failure both times. I just couldn't keep reading. I have to admit though, that one of those books, I wasn't interested in from the start and only picked it up because it had rave reviews. It gave me a reminder to stick to using my own feelings towards a book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's rare but it does happen to me on occasion. Sometimes my expectations are just too high.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying to power though a book right now. I have 100 pages left and It is due back to the library tomorrow.

    I've been thinking a lot about this book because the concept is intriguing, the writing solid and very beautiful at times, and the characters sympathetic. So why isn't it interesting me? I can't figure it out. So I read on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You aren't alone! If a book isn't well written and the characters are boring, I can't finish it, even if the plot is good. The opposite applies: well written with interesting characters, and I'll read it even if the plot has the MC clipping his nails through half the book. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm pretty sure the second book's title starts with an M, right? :D

    yeah, i give up on books too. i mean...if a book is really that bland, and torturous to get through, why should i force myself to finish it then? i have too many books to read as it is, so yeah...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Slow moving plots and characters I don't care about definitely make me quit reading a book! Also, if it's just too fluffy, I tend to stop caring about halfway through. If I can put a book down and forget about it, it's just not worth my time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For me, the characters make the book. If the characters are annoying enough, then I'll be less likely to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gina, I know I already posted here, but I couldn't find an email addy so this is where I'm going to ask you: Would be a Blogging Mentor for me? I'd love to have you! If you're interested, email me (erittelking(at)gmail(dot)com) and I'll get you the questions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to finish everything; it would bug me if I didn't, but now I have SO many amazing books to get to that I don't make myself finish. There's too much to read and too little time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! I actually finished said book yesterday.

    And it did not get any better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I almost never give up on a book because I'm too cheap. ;)

    But. I pretty much only ever read YA. Because, in my experience, adult fiction has about 80% of characters that are "self-absorbed, sex-obsessed, and downright unlikable." Why bother?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've had to do it and I do so reluctantly. One was a historical romance and it started great. Then it got really repetitive and I couldn't empathize w/ the heroine. She was just too stupid. Then all the sex scenes faded to black, so that was often, and it got annoying.

    The last one ... the two mc's just talked to each other, but the plot never went anywhere. I gave up.

    ReplyDelete