Monday, August 1, 2011

On Finally Hitting Send

I officially ran out of excuses. Last week, I revised my query letter. And liked it. Then, I showed it to two of my CP's, who also liked it.

Up until that point, I hadn't queried because I hated my letter. So I started thinking, Crap. Now I have to send this thing out into the world.

Go to fullsize imageNope.

Can't do it.

Too. Freaking. Afraid.

I cautiously researched a few agents, and promptly supplied myself with another excuse: I didn't have a synopsis written, and most of them seemed to want one, at least at some point in the process.

So, I wrote one. Sent it off to Leigh Ann. She deemed it "perfect." I thought, no way. It took me a year and a half to write a decent query letter, there is no way I wrote a perfect synopsis in an hour.

I mean, it's really freaking hard to condense 78,000 words into 600. So, I also took Natalie Whipple's advice and sent the synopsis to a bloggie friend who hasn't read my ms, thinking she might find some egregious error, points that needed clarification, etc.

Nope.  She told me it was clear and concise, and that she loved my premise.  Yikes!

Fresh out of excuses, I went ahead and did it. I put my query in an e-mail, and hit send.

Wish me luck, peeps.

And please tell me - were any of you this terrified to hit send?

10 comments:

  1. WOOOHOOOO!!!!!

    Running out of excuses - I can't WAIT till that happens to me.
    (But only kind of. Probably I will email you in a panic the second after I hit "send.")

    I have such a good feeling about this round, G. Seriously. You are going to totally rock this.

    Gave you a shoutout over on NN. <3
    http://www.leighannkopans.com/2011/08/split-personality-of-writer.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you the best of luck, Gina! That 'send' button is there for clicking, not angsting over (although I admit, I do plenty of angsting myself).

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe all the practice getting you query together helped you to turn out a top knotch synopsis faster than you thought you could! Wishing you lots of luck here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job. I haven't even started my query letter yet. Keep telling myself 1 more edit :)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Good for you. The nail biting begins. Sending lots of positive thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck! I am so excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AH! That's awesome. I was way nervous in the past, but you've done the work, now it's time for it to speak for itself (and apparently, it speaks well!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, so can you write my synopsis now?

    Good luck, Gina. My fingers are crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! I am so excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have sent about 16 queries out now, and I am still TERRIFIED every time I hit that send button.

    It shows you really care :)
    Keep up with it!

    ReplyDelete