Monday, August 20, 2012

"Inspired" To Talk About My Book!

The lovely and talented Dahlia has tagged me to be part of the Be Inspired Bloghop!



As I read the questions Dahlia answered about her own (amazing, hilarious) novel, I realized how rare it is that I actually talk about mine on this blog. I've mentioned that it's a contemporary romance and I've posted one or two excerpts, but other than that, I guess I'm a little superstitious.

Today, superstition is going out the window. Here are a few factoids about my Book Baby:

Q) What is the name of your book?
A) LAST YEAR'S MISTAKE

Q) Where did the idea for your book come from?
A) It started with a dream. I saw a girl and her boyfriend snuggling up against the lockers at school (because, apparently, I dream of strangers). Then the door at the end of the hall opened, and another boy walked in. The girl's face turned white and fell, and then she ran to him and threw her arms around him, leaving her boyfriend - and me - to wonder WTF had just happened. I built the rest of the story around that dream.

Q) In what genre would you classify your book?
A) Contemporary YA Romance

Q) If you had to pick actors to play your characters in a movie rendition of your book, who would you choose?
A) This is WAY easy.
Ashley Benson as Kelsey

Sean Faris and his biceps as David
Max Thieriot as Ryan
Q) Give us a one sentence synopsis of your book.
A) LYM is the story of Kelsey and David, and it alternates between events in the past that led to their friendship falling apart, and the unexpected way they come together again in the present – as more than friends, even though they both try to fight it.

Q) Is your book already published?
A) I WISH! It's currently on sub, so here's hoping!

Q) How long did it take you to write your book?
A) Wow, I didn't realize it until I looked back to answer this question, but almost a whole year.

I wrote the first scene in January of 2011. I was working on another ms, so I kind of let it simmer for a while and didn't write more until March. Then I hit a stalling point again over the summer (busy season at work, revising and querying my first project) and finally finished in December.

Q) What other books within your genre would you compare it to? (Or, readers of which books would enjoy yours?)
A) I'll be perfectly honest here - I have no idea. I've been told my writing is reminiscent of Sarah Dessen's, but I've actually never read one of her novels, so I can't agree or disagree. I do know that if you enjoy flawed but likable characters and high-tension romance all thrown into a pretty, historic setting, you'll like this novel :)

Q) Which authors inspired you to write this book?
A) Probably Stephanie Perkins. I remember so much hubub over ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS, and when I read it, I kept thinking, Wait... this is a story all about romance. You can DO that? Really? JUST romance?...... I want to do that! I CAN do that!

Q) Tell us anything that might pique our interest in your book.
A) Well, first, go and scroll back on up to that photo of David. Now imagine him in a baseball uniform. Now imagine him shirtless and sopping wet. Because that happens in my book.

No, seriously, in my opinion, it's a fun, fast-paced, sometimes funny, sometimes angsty read that shows how the past can bite you in the ass while hitting on so many of the emotions we experience when falling in love for the first time. And the kissing scenes are hot, if I do say so myself!

That's all! I'm supposed to tag five more people to participate in the Blog Hop, but y'all know by now that I prefer not to obligate anyone. So if you'd like to answer these fun and easy questions, consider yourself tagged! And don't forget to tweet or comment with the link :)

9 comments:

  1. Hey Gina. I love your answers. Stories inspired by dreams are the best, and the dream you had made me laugh. :D

    I've decided to participate.

    http://traceyjoseph.blogspot.com/2012/08/be-inspired.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any time you talk about LYM I get goosebumps. I love this book SO MUCH <333 I can't wait to have it on my shelves for real!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Gina. I hadn't heard your talk about Last Year's Mistake yet. It sounds great! And yes--I, too, have had that moment with YA romance where I thought....I love this, I can do this, too! For me it was when I read When It Happens by Susane Colasanti.

    Thanks for sharing! Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh LYM! *sigh* *swoon* And now I'm thinking about the rain scene...I think I need to read it again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love LYM so much. And that rain scene....*happy sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, I need to read this book right now. It sounds so fun and right up my alley! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH!! And yeah, I didn't realize how little I'd heard you talk about it until now so I'm extra glad I tagged you! This was so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great cast! Book ideas that come from dreams are real treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your book sounds awesome... and OMG... I ADORE Stephanie Perkins, like I might kiss her.... (apparently I'm all about kissing strangers, LOL) and I don't read contemporary or romance... and I'd read anything by Perkins. And I hear she's writing a HORROR book.. I CAN'T wait!

    ReplyDelete