Monday, August 27, 2012

Holy Crap, I Just Wrote A Novel

Happy Monday, Peeps!

Okay, if you're anything like me, I know what you're thinking - WTF is happy about Monday?

Well, even though I still have to drag my butt out of bed today to go to work, and even though I still have to get some form of dinner on the table when I get home, I'll still be smiling (barring disaster) BECAUSE:

I FINISHED THE FIRST DRAFT OF MY THIRD MANUSCRIPT!

Rock-N-Roll!
My nephew Evan rocks hardcore. It's in the genes.

Those of you who read my Writing Outside Your Comfort Zone post (and thank you, if you did) know that this one was particularly challenging for me. I decided halfway through to make it a romance AND a mind-bender, and I was terrified I'd screw it up.

Of course, it hasn't gone to my betas yet, so there's a good chance I *did* screw it up. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

But even if this ms hadn't been particularly involved, I'm pretty sure I'd still feel the same way about finishing it - The "Holy-Crap-I-Just-Wrote-A-Novel" High.

I've written three manuscripts. By now, it should be nothing new, right?

Except that all three times, it felt like I would never finish.

All three times, the word count seemed to creep up at a snail's pace, until I was sure I didn't have enough plot for a full-length novel.

All three times, I was juggling work and home and family and friends, and telling myself there weren't nearly enough hours in the day to ever get this done.

And all three times, I was dead wrong. Because finishing a manuscript is a huge deal, no matter what your situation, no matter if it's the third or the thirtieth. It's an accomplishment that no one else can take away from you.

It's a high well earned. And whether it sits in a drawer or makes it to the bookshelf, it's still the product of long hours and hard work and love poured into every page - it is something to be proud of.

I'd like to think that if I ever stop feeling the "Holy-Crap-I-Just-Wrote-A-Novel High, then that's when it's time to hang up my writing hat. Because I want to feel this way EVERY SINGLE TIME I write something...

...Right up until the ugly reality of revisions hits home. (Cue buzzkill music)

Have you felt the Holy-Crap-I-Just-Wrote-A-Novel High lately? Do you feel it every time? And most importantly - how do you celebrate?


11 comments:

  1. Congrats, Gina! I finished one over the summer, and my brief celebration was followed by itchiness, because I wanted to dig into revisions right away. I only managed to wait a week before starting.

    A few days ago, I finished a second round of revisions on it. I sent it out to betas, and now I'm chewing on my nails!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATS GINA!! I so can't wait to get my hands on this one!

    I have to do *something* to celebrate every time I finish drafting, even if it's only eating some ice cream. It's a BIG deal to write a novel - so many people never even get close. You are amazing and I know this book is too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Major congrats!!! Yesterday, I finished the first draft of my most difficult novel!! I celebrated with Ferrero Rocher and a HUMONGOUS pack of Twizzlers :) I love what you said about finishing being a huge deal--no one can ever take away the blood, sweat, and tears poured into that manuscript.

    Best of luck with everything! And ENJOY your accomplishment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY!!!!! finishing is a HUGE deal. good luck with revisions :) I'm sure the story is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!!! SO exciting, and wow, your THIRD novel! That's a huge accomplishment. Enjoy the writer's high! :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Newly following - congrats on finishing your draft, that's great news!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yaaaaaay I am so excited to read SP there are no words!!! I'm also super excited to share this high, but I've still got about 10K to go first.... But then, I will reread this post and share in your enjoyment of that blissful, blissful feeling....! Finger crossed it's sooner rather than later!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations for writing three novels! That's more than a lot of people have written. I know of a lot of people who start stories but never finish them. There's definitely a sense of satisfaction in completing a draft, because it really is a lot of work to get it down on paper.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on finishing your first draft! I'm so excited for you!

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yaaaaaaay!!!!! How did I miss this post??? I am so far beyond excited! You kicked this novel's butt, I already know it!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on finishing your first draft. That's the one I always dread. I prefer editing. :D

    ReplyDelete