Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Get Your #PitchOn Workshop 2 - DREAMHOPPERS

Hi Everyone!

Here's pitch #2 for our Get Your Pitch On workshops!

Remember to leave your (kind, helpful) critique in the comments and check out the other hosting blogs here!

Title: DREAMHOPPERS

Genre: YA Fantasy/Adventure

Word-count: 61,500

Pitch: 
Can a dream open a door to a different reality? Alex finds himself sharing the same dream night after night with a group of young teens he's never met before. While struggling to make sense of the eerie phenomenon, he and his nocturnal companions undertake a harrowing adventure of mystery and danger to save a boy’s life. Before the surprising conclusion, they bond and become forever DreamHoppers.

Gina's Notes:

I think this pitch has a lot of potential. I love the idea of dreams opening up doors to different realities, but I'd have to strongly advise you to:

- Get rid of the rhetorical question. As someone who's done her share of querying, I know it's a huge pet peeve to many a publishing professional. The pitch should be formulated so that the reader is left asking *themselves* the big questions - namely the ones that will make them want to keep reading. Posing a question they can't answer doesn't help them to know more about why they want to read your story, so you don't lose anything by chopping it.

- The second sentence is great. I love that he finds himself in a recurring dream with people he knows, but at the same time, doesn't know. It's actually a great way to open the pitch.
My only question is how he knows they're real people having the same dream, as opposed to people he just happens to dream of every night.

- The last two sentences need to paint a clearer picture of the conflict. Saying the boys take on a harrowing/mysterious/dangerous adventure is telling, when we need you to show us.
            For example, why is it dangerous? Why does this particular boy's life need saving? How is he related to their mysterious dream phenomenon? What is it that throws a wrench into everything? A few words about the meat of the conflict will create much more interest than non-specific adjectives and nouns.

- Same thing for the last sentence. We're not really aware what a DreamHopper is or does, or even how or why they'd be one "forever." But using the word forever allows the reader to assume that becoming a DreamHopper *is* the conclusion of the story, which negates the promised "surprise" aspect of the next sentence. Again - show us what's surprising, rather than telling us.

Other than that, fabulous concept that definitely has the potential to wow. Best of luck!



DreamHoppers.

5 comments:

  1. There is a lot of scope and potential within this idea and I like the idea of using dreams to be able to create a world linked to our own. My only advice echos that given above - ditch the rhetorical question. Also, I'd like to see more info about who this boy they need to save is and why it's important to the MC that he does. I know you don't have many words to work with, but I think it is crucial that we know how the major conflict relates to the MC.

    I'll be interested to see how this pitch evolves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with dropping the rhetorical question. If nothing else it will give you more words to expand on who your MC is. The rest is pretty strong. I really like this concept and would probably pick it up from off a shelf. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh love this pitch. Would read this in a heartbeat. But like comments before me, I suggest you ditch the rhetorical question or find a better way of representing it. Other than that we need to know more about this boy they have to save and why he's important. Goodluck hey. . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this pitch. The idea of having an adventure night by night with the same people, yet you have no idea who they are, is quite intriguing. I would definitely pick up the book if this were the blurb. However, I, too, agree with the rhetorical question bit. Cut that, open with the second sentence and use the word-space to add more about the plot. I also question how he would know if they're real people or not, but I'll just assume that's answered in the story itself :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Omnivore,Katie, Rose, and Jess. And of course, Gina. Excellent suggestions. I hear you.
    kathleen

    ReplyDelete