Monday, April 16, 2012

Book Bulimia

When it comes to books, I'm a binger and a purger.



I go through phases where I can't read enough - devouring books in 2 or 3 days and then looking for my next fix like a desperate junkie. I'll easily tear through 8-15 books when I'm in binge mode.

And then for no apparent reason I just... poop out.

I'll start to read something, and then stop. I'll find myself with free time, but I wrinkle my nose at the thought of sitting down with a book.

Maybe it's burnout? I don't know. But I'm in one of those droughts right now.

 I've been looking at all the books on my bookshelf and itching to clear some out, as I usually do when I'm in a reading dry spell. I'm not the kind who'll re-read a book once I've finished it (unless I really, REALLY love it), and plus, I got a Kindle for Christmas. So if I do feel the need to revisit something, I have the option to upload it - without taking up any already limited space in my house.

Although, truthfully? I'm still a little attached to paper books. So I think subconsciously, purge mode is actually preparation for the next binge.

Do any of you experience book bulimia? Any suggestions for great books that might jump start my next reading binge?

11 comments:

  1. You could go read Graceling, and then pick up the sequel on May 1st. And then join our little club that regularly swoons over the hero.

    Just saying. :)

    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSSSSSS. <3

      I'm experiencing a bit of a reading slump too, at the moment. I still tear through books at a ridiculous speed and that will never change, but it's been a while since I read something that really WOWed me. I'm expecting BITTERBLUE will change that. *g*

      Delete
    2. OK L, you have WAY more important things to do today than comment on my silly little blog post. So go do them! <3

      And since I trust you ladies, I will take you up on that Graceling suggestion!

      Delete
  2. I do the same thing exactly, Gina! I'll go weeks without reading, and then devour 10 or 15 in a week or so. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, it just gets a little disconcerting for me when I have no desire to read at all for a while :) But, maybe it gives our brains a chance to digest all the words or something LOL. Anyway, glad to know I'm not the only one!

    (and yeah, I haven't read Graceling either!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, this is why we get along! Former Catholic School Heathens with Book Bulimia... now THAT sounds like a great book!

      Delete
  3. Every spring, for some reason, I feel the need to devour a bunch of YA books, like I'm doing right now. The rest of the year I hardly want to touch them, let alone read them. Sometimes I feel like I just don't have time to read, and other times I don't feel like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm like that right now. I read four books at the beginning of the month, one right after the other, and I haven't picked up another one for at least a week now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! And I've never really figured out a reason for it. Sometimes I read a book every couple days even when I'm really busy, and then won't see anything that catches my eye for a while. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel guilty when reading books. I keep thinking of everything else I could be doing with my time if I wasn't reading. It's a toss up whether I think of them as dessert or vegetables on my plate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a book binger too. I can read books within hours. Best timing was 2 hours :) But I'm currently in a slump because I have SO MUCH COLLEGE WORK to do and all I want to be doing is reading for fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is how I read lol the last time I read a book was last August when I read 15 in a little over a week. no I have 7 books in my TBR pile and no idea when I'll feel the itch to devour them. but it'll be soon, I think. very soon.

    ReplyDelete